Thursday, May 10, 2007

Random Acts of Bike-ness

So, last night I met my friend Chris Harrison for dinner at Fresh (Queen & Crawford). After dinner, as I was getting geared up to ride home on my fancy new KHS Flite 200, I realized that I'd forgotten my bike lights and it was already dark. For those who have spent any time with me the past few months, you'd know that this is par for the course. I've been forgetting and losing things left, right and centre. More on that in a future post.

Last night though, my friend Chris joked that I should stick close to a cyclist with lights, and just as he said it, we saw one coming our way, so I said a quick good-bye, hopped on and hurried to catch up with her. Not long after, we both had to stop at a red light. When it turned green, I started up a bit more quickly than her, so she gave me a sideways look as if to say "go ahead".....and I said out loud to her "actually, i forgot my lights at home so i thought I'd let you lead"....we both laughed and picked up some speed as we headed east along Queen Street. Then we came to a crowded section around Queen and Euclid where there was a bit of a gridlock and we had to ride through a small space left between two poorly positioned cars. It was a bit tricky to navigate, so I rung my cool yellow bell to alert all the crazy drivers to watch out for us. That's when she shouted back to me that we made a good pair because she didn't have a bell on her bike! It was funny. By the time we pulled up to the red light at Bathurst we were very chummy, and she asked me for directions to where she was going. She turned off Queen a few blocks later and I was left to ride the rest of the way home alone, musing about this random act of bike-ness with a fellow cyclist. One of the things I love about living in Toronto.

2 comments:

Tuco said...

Luckily you totally compensate for the forgetfulness with tons and tons of charm!

Ali Kat said...

LOL!! What a great story :)

You know, forgetfulness usually comes with being pregnant!?!