Monday, October 22, 2007

Pumpkin Bread (and procrastination)

Two of my favourite activities are baking, and procrastinating....and what better time to combine both activities than when you have a paper due?! You can all rest easy, the paper is as done as it's ever going to be, so now I have time to post a recipe to help YOU all procrastinate too :) For all those who think vegan cooking/baking is boring, let me introduce you to my favourite recipe for...

Pumpkin Bread, from “the complete vegan kitchen” by Jannequin Bennett (p. 259) This is how it turns out, and it is SOOOO yummy! I still have a few slices left if anyone wants to come by for a visit. PS. The plate it's resting on was made by yours truly!


You need a blender/food processor, a sifter, and a loaf pan to make this recipe.

2 Tbsp Flaxseeds
1 ½ cups sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree (you can use mashed sweet potato instead)
½ cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour (I just used ALL whole wheat flour and it turned out fine)
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ ground cloves
(you can replace the last 3 spices with 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice)

Use a 9-inch loaf pan, coat with oil or spray
Use blender/food processor to blend the flaxseeds with 6 Tbsp of water until light and frothy
Whisk together flaxseed mixture with sugar, pumpkin and applesauce
Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices into the wet ingredients
Mix well
Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350F for 1hr – 1hr 15 min.

1 comment:

Adam Brown said...

Hey, I like your blog. It's a good writing tone, and a neat glimpse into a healthy lifestyle. I found it down right inspiring. Sadly, I think my procrastination prevents me from doing enough cooking.